Now, on to the superlatives!
Monday, December 17th: Head of the Class
- Favorite Dystopian: Insurgent I waited and waited and waited for this. I was so excited when it came out, I reread Divergent then jumped right in. If you haven't read this book and love dystopians, you need to get into this series.
- Favorite Science Fiction: Cinder Everything from the writing to the characters to the world in this story was absolutely stunning. If you read my review, you know I wasn't surprised by the twist, but the book was so good it didn't matter.
- Favorite Fantasy: This one was really tough for me. I loved both Incarnate and Shadow and Bone for very different reasons, but I’m going to go with Shadow and Bone.
- Favorite Contemporary: Get ready for it—I didn’t read any new contemporary this year. (Sorry!)
- Favorite Action/Adventure: I didn’t really read any action/adventure, but I would definitely say that False Memory by Dan Krokos had elements of this. So that book gets my vote. Also, I couldn’t pick two science fiction. You girls are angels for making dystopian a separate category, too.
- Favorite Historical Fiction: Something Strange and Deadly (for which I’ll have a review this week or next) was awesome. I felt like I was in Philadelphia in the late 1800s. And, of course, I loved the added element of the walking dead.
- Favorite Comedy: Didn’t read any
- Favorite Mystery: Didn’t read any
- Favorite Romance: I didn’t really read any romance, but I’m going to go ahead and stick Incarnate in this category. I loved the romance in this book and couldn’t have two favorite fantasies. The prose is so beautiful it just makes the romance that much better.
- Favorite Paranormal: This is Not a Test. Though I'd probably stick this more in the horror category. Did I mention I like the walking dead? Well, I do.
- Favorite Family Drama: I'm going to give this one to This is Not a Test as well.
- Favorite Genre Bender: Can I put The Raven Boys here? It has fantasy and contemporary elements, which probably technically makes it contemporary fantasy, but still. :) As an aside, I'll have a review up for this one before the end of the month as well.
2012 Releases I Read: Incarnate, Cinder, Pandemonium, Insurgent, Shadow and Bone, False Memory, This is Not a Test, Something Strange and Deadly, The Raven Boys