It’s February, which means it’s time for Writer Recharge! Those of you who participated last year will remember the almost daily twitter parties and, of course, camaraderie. Last year I managed to finish up STARS & STRIPES and get it submission-ready. I started querying, and now, a year later, I'm on submission again (only this time with an agent)!
Writer Recharge is once again hosted by Katy Upperman, Alison Miller, Elodie Nowodazkij, Sara Biren, and myself! This is your chance for a four-week jump start in the middle of a cold, dreary winter. Set goals for yourself, check in once a week, and connect with other recharging writers.
This year, we’ve come up with a few categories you might want to consider when making your goals. You can choose a goal (or goals) for one or some or all:
- WRITE/REVISE – Choose writing goals for the month.
- READ/REREAD - Read a book that's been on your TBR forever or reread something that had a great impact on you.
- STRETCH - Do something outside your comfort zone, from reading a genre you typically avoid to trying a new food or rock climbing when you're afraid of heights - that kind of thing.
- SELF - Do something good for your mind or your body.
- CONNECT - Find a way to make a difference in someone’s life. Make a connection, via social media or in person. Initiate twitter writing parties, have a real-life write-in with writers in your town, or offer to critique or beta read someone’s work.
- FUN - Make a goal to do something super fun and exciting that you can look forward to.
How Writer Recharge works:
- First week of February: Post your goals for the month on your blog, website, or Twitter. Use the hashtag #WriterRecharge. Link your blog post at Sara's blog.
- Every Monday in February: Update your progress via your blog or twitter. Link your blog posts on our Monday posts.
- Throughout the month: Use the hashtag to connect with other writers, have writing parties, and cheer one another on!
- Friday, February 27: Post your final update via your blog or twitter.
- Anyone who uses the hashtag or links their blog posts will be entered to win a fabulous prize package at the end of the month.
Here are my goals for the month:
Write/Revise: I'd like to make it halfway through this ghost story I keep talking about. It's been on hold since last November for edits on STARS & STRIPES and then work. I want to see some real progress this month!
Read/Reread: I'm choosing If I Stay. That's right: I haven't read it. But I'm going to. I'd also like to read Vivan Apple at the End of the World this month.
Stretch: I have a goal in mind for this that I can't share right now, but know I'm working toward it!
Self: I made all these hopeful goals at the start of 2015, and my job sort of took them out from under me. So for myself this month, I want to do yoga 4 out of 5 weekdays (provided the studio is open when I can go...sounds like me may get some snow this month). I also want to breathe more, stress less, and take what parts of my anxiety that I can into my own hands.
Connect: I'll be reading chapters for a writing friend who's getting ready for submission. I'm so excited for her (but not sure she wants me to share it...so no names).
Fun: I want to get at least one pedicure this month. This sort of fits the self goal, too, but still.
I hope you'll join us!